Monday, May 30, 2011

Greetings from the Hospital! (Part 2)

If you are stopping by from Jenn's blog - welcome aboard!  I'm so excited to be featured today - Jenn rocks - go check it out and see for yourself :)
===========
I have just accepted the fact that I will be pregnant with twins forever.

On Saturday, I began noticing my contractions.  They were more painful than they had been the past week (yes, I still have contractions all day, every day, every 2-6 minutes or so, since getting discharged from the hospital not even one week ago!)  The contractions seemed to be more frequently this time around, so I called Labor/Delivery.

I told them I really didn't plan on spending my holiday weekend in the hospital unless it was going to worth it - aka, unless I was really going to have these guys.

Well, well, well.

I have 2 very mischievous little turkeys on my hands.

We went in through triage and were admitted to Labor/Delivery almost immediately.  I got settled in the L/D room - ironically the exact same room we were in not even one week ago - room #9.  (Next time, for sure, I will not allow myself to be admitted to room #9!)  They immediately got my IV put in, had Anesthesiology come and discuss pain control options during delivery, got through all the paperwork, had a visit from the Neonatologist, and they even had the little newborn packets ready to go, complete with the little newborn hats - one packet labeled "Strobel A", and one labeled "Strobel B".


Everyone fully expected the little dudes to be well on the way!
I continued to have contractions throughout the late night hours - they got very painful to the point of getting morphine through my IV early yesterday morning. And I hate narcotics.  I couldn't sit, couldn't lay, couldn't do anything without a ton of pain...so, I caved in after the Tylenol did nothing for the pain.


The sad part was when the doctor came back to check my progress, and I found that even through all that pain - my cervix apparently is made of steel - I had made ZERO progress!  Still at 4 cm.  There were many 4-letter words dropped.


So we continued with this a couple more hours.  Doctor came back and this time it was a little more convincing - I moved 1 cm - though a small step, I felt relief that all this wasn't a complete waste of energy.

After that, I became a narced-out drug addicted looking fool!  I had 2 more doses of morphine and apparently wasn't metabolizing it like I should have.  Holy smokes.  I felt like a totally different person.  I told Travis I felt very weird.  He called the nurse in and told her I was a little off - that was an understatement!!  I felt like I had no control over my own body..like I was on the outside looking in.  I was sweating, nauseous, and lightheaded. I had a hard time moving because my mind would say "move" but my body felt way too weak to move. Add that to contractions and it wasn't a pretty picture.

After awhile, I got up to go to the bathroom and was thinking my water broke.  I called the nurse in who thought so also - turns out it wasn't amniotic fluid afterall.  Not sure WHAT it was but we won't go there.  The doctor came in and could still feel Baby A's head, surrounded by his amniotic sac, so we know it wasn't him.

Still no further progress.

I eventually got admitted to the observation unit, where I'm at right now, waiting for the doctor to come and check me so we can get the heck home!  I am still contracting every 2 to 5 minutes but they're not painful.

The doctor this morning is a little baffled - like WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE LADY!!  These babies should have been born awhile ago.

I am going on 36 weeks and that is considered term for twins...which is great!!  We are hoping for little to zero Special Care Nursery time.  Apparently these boys are small monsters, measuring on track for a singleton baby, and so we're all hoping they are also "mature" babies and know what to do when they're here.

But, I'm over it babies, and if you want to come out soon, I would really appreciate it.  I'm sick of the 23/24 hour bouts of labor to no avail.

My abdomen feels like I've been doing stomach crunches for the past week.  Holy smokes that hurts!

So.  That is my wordy yet uneventful pregnancy update!  Next time I bring up the word "pregnancy", it better be followed by "IS OVER!"
Happy Memorial Monday!

9 comments:

  1. I just read your feature over on Jen's blog!! It's nice to see another twin mama in the blog world that I can relate to!! Congrats on making it this far and I hope these boys will decide to come out soon for you! This by far has been way more difficult then my singleton pregnancy too. And I have been on bed rest for 2 weeks now :( It stinks!!! But its for the better right?! Good luck with everything!! Can't wait to see your post that they are here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Memorial day, you won't forget this one or room #9.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man. That would be awful! I was induced with my son at 35 weeks and yeah. 12 hours later and the doctors sent me home. It was horrible. Fast forward to 40 weeks and I'm induced again and I refused to leave until this kid came out. He came out like an hour later. The nurses all told me boys are completely lazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You deserve a medal. Scratch that...two medals. Hang in there...those little boys will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness! I got really excited when I saw hospital in your blog title! I thought for sure the babies were here! I know you're so ready for them to be here. Hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there Amber! I'm thinking and praying for you and those little men!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They might be holding out for their due date.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from "A Girl in Pearls & a Boy with Toys" Blog. I hope those little ones make a grand entrance soon for you. I am a momma of twin girls who are now six and know what your going through. Hang in there! Your daughter is just adorable!!! I plan on reading you daily :) so keep us updated! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those babies are scared to be out here or something, HA! I hope it's not much longer. Still thinking of you girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!