Monday, May 16, 2011

Faith. Hope. Mayo.

We moved here over 4 years ago, when I was fresh out of nursing school so I could tackle one dream: to work at Mayo Clinic.

I grew up roughly 8 hours from Mayo, and thankfully - never had a reason to visit the clinic. I heard a ton about it, and knew it was a big famous healthcare system.

That was about all I knew about Mayo Clinic, or Rochester, Minnesota.

My last year of nursing school, there was a set of conjoined twins from my hometown area who came to Mayo to be separated. The news of the successful separation of the Carlsen twins rocked the headlines nationally and locally. Having realized a miracle like this is possible - I realized for the first time where it was I wanted to work when I finished school:

Mayo Clinic.
 
I knew all through nursing school  - all through any school, actually - that I wanted to leave North Dakota.  See the world; dance in the rain.  I have good roots and great family in ND - but knew it was time to "spread my wings".  Travis and I were married the year prior to me finishing nursing school and had always discussed leaving ND once I was done with school.  Nothing to lose, and at the worst - we could always move back.

I applied to several hospital positions open at Mayo and received a call a short while later offering me an interview with the inpatient Neurosurgical unit.
 Mayo paid for Travis and I to drive down and spend a few nights in Rochester for the interview.  It was nerve-wracking.  I felt like I was walking into a place that only the very ill came, and that only the best would be hired at.  I think I peed 459 times prior to going up to the floor where I was to be interviewed by not just one person - but a panel of people.

Now - anyone who has come fresh out of nursing school can appreciate this.  There is so very little you know when you step foot into your first nursing job.  This interview was not about experience, thankfully.  I gave the best interview I could.  We drove back to Fargo and just crossed our fingers for the best.
See that building way in the back, smack in the middle?  That's where the babies will soon be making their debut!
A couple weeks later, I got a phone call when I was on break doing junior high scoliosis and eye exam screenings as part of a clinical rotation for undergrad nursing.  It was Mayo calling to offer me the job!  They offered me time to think about it - to which I quickly said  "we don't need time  to think about it.  I would be honored to accept this position."

I called my husband right away to share the news!  Both excited, both scared. 

About 3 months later, we found ourselves amongst a move to a part of Minnesota where we had no connections, no family, no friends.  Yet, we were confident we'd adjust quickly and soon make Rochester feel like home.

Peace Plaza - downtown Rochester, amongst the clinic buildings (seen in the background)

Mayo Clinic - Gonda building subway level


Plummer Building - my favorite Mayo building
 It has been over 4 years now that we took that plunge.  I can't say that I have ever regretted it.  Not even for a second.  Sure, it gets hard being away from friends and family.  I'd love to transplant all my loves right down here with us!  We have been blessed with great friends, great coworkers, and great neighbors.  It's been tough at times, but overall we feel we transplanted nicely.

I've  realized how much Mayo and the Rochester community has taught me about life...about faith and hope...about healing and death...about growing and achieving...about believing...about family...about miracles.
(source)
 I am so proud to work with some of the most brilliant individuals in the medical community. The experts here are amazing and I have really experienced a wonderful learning opportunity just being amongst their knowledge.  I have been very blessed to be healthy, yet I work with and witness the ill on a daily basis at work.  Walking through the buildings of the Mayo campus reveals many stories of hope, courage...and at times, sadness.  People come here from all over the world hoping for miracles and hoping for a cure.  I am elated that Mayo is usually able to achieve that; and I'm sad when there just is no worldly cure for them. 

It's one of the sad truths of the medical profession.

I also am thankful for moving here even as I go into my 6th week of bedrest.  Sure, it'd be easier to have family close by.  It would be easier to live close to my mom right now - mommies make everything better, don't they? Travis and I are carrying a lot of weight on our shoulders.. Each day presents new stressors.   At the same time, I question if I would be carrying my 2 miracles had we not moved here?  I had easy access to the very best in the Reproductive Technology field.  I have a phenomenal set of physicians working with my pregnancy and feel very blessed that Dr. C. caught my dynamic situation at 28 weeks. 

Would I have delivered by now if not for her very thorough examination that day back in early April?  It's hard to say.

I can say, however, that I am thankful for each night and filled with hope each morning that we will make it just one more day.  Each day the babies stay safe inside me, saves 2 days in the NICU.  That is pretty amazing in itself.  I am thankful that, whenever Maddox & Kellan decide to arrive, they will be in perfect hands.  I am thankful that this bedrest "nightmare" has trucked along for nearly 6 weeks now.

Thank-you for bearing with me during this journey!
Happy Monday!

7 comments:

  1. I'm getting ready to go back to nursing school and scared out of my mind.

    And I've actually had a 3rd cousin come to Mayo clinic. Had it not been for them and bringing her back to life, she may not be here today. It was that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no clue you took your first nursing job at the Mayo Clinic. How wonderful and exciting!! I am so happy to hear your babies are in a great place :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what an amazing story! Wishing you all the very best xx

    Found your wonderful blog via Mingle Monday :)

    Emerald City Girl ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im visiting from Mingle Monday! Your story is pretty inspiring--I'm going to be moving away from my family in a short time (45 days and counting) to put an end to the distance part of my relationship (2 years). Although it's for different reasons, your post is inspiring to me. I hope all goes well with you and your bun in the oven :)
    Jenn @ Going the Distance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there visiting from Mingle Mondays ... You story is both amazing and inspiring!!! I'm grateful to the mayo clinic for their achievement in elbow replacement; though I live in Canada my elbow is from the mayo clinic... wishing you many blessings and can't wait to read about the arrival of your babies!!! HHL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!! It's awesome that you are working at such an awesome place. its great that you get so much fulfillment from your job. Some times the risks really are worth it! And obviously, everything really does happen for a reason.
    I'm visiting from Mingle Monday.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm stopping by from Mingle Monday. I'm so glad to have found you. I'm a new nurse, and love nurse blogs! Always nice to find people who you have common interests with!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!