Monday, May 9, 2011

The grass is always greener on the other side...

Really. It is.

I wish I could claim that the lawn on the top half of the picture was ours.

It's not.  Boooooo.  Ours is the brown, yucky, dead-looking Sahara Desert-esque yard.

My parents, who are awesome by the way, drove 8 hours here on Friday afternoon to help out.  With the delivery of the twins getting ever so close, and many projects unfinished...let's just say it is a HUGE weight off my shoulders to have some home/yard improvement projects complete!

Not sure what the story is with our grass, but my dad and Travis, with the expertise of my landscaping/gardening/lawn professional, (but currently recovering from a total knee replacement) mother, set out on a huge project this weekend.

Started off with simple lawnmowing...
Emersyn helped mow the lawn too

Uncovered some pitiful looking grass below...
The neighbor girls noticed the sad looking grass below and came to help!

Which led to renting a power rake/dethatcher to pull up all the dead grass...
It looked like a hay field
Sadly...that's our "grass"

Lots of bags of clippings to take to the dump!  (And yes, that is my minivan parked on the street.   Hot, I know.)
After all the dead grass clippings were bagged up, new grass seed was sprinkled.

This morning we woke up to a thunderstorm with lots and lots and lots of rain.  Grow, grass...grow!

I'm pretty sure that we will soon have beautiful green grass to show for the temporary neighborhood embarrassment.  I mean it wouldn't be so bad if our neighbors didn't all have such great grass!

This weekend, the garage shelving got built.  (I have been politely asking  threatening about that for 2 years!)  We are running into storage issues with 2 more kids on the way - shelving is a must!

We had a bad board on our deck that got replaced.  Yay!
My planter in the front yard was starting to look yucky too.  My dad and Travis investigated, and found that the tree roots were pushing the brick planter out of place.  They elevated the planter and replaced the bricks ever so  nicely.  It looks great!

My mom cooked up a storm in the kitchen.  I think my kitchen may have been in the early stages of being considered vacant...going on the 5th week of bedrest doesn't help that cause.  We had a weekend of great compnay, great help, and great food!

Travis made brunch on Mother's Day morning.  Emersyn brought me some flowers.  Chocolate covered strawberries were a part of the homemade brunch.  Yes please!

The rest of the day was spent napping (for the 2 hung-up mommies!) while Emersyn went to the little local zoo with dad and Grandpa.  

Even though I spent my weekend on house/couch arrest once again, I feel a sense of accomplishment.  The babies are still baking!  I surprised my doctor this morning at my appointment by even showing up!  She said..."YAY!  32 1/2 weeks you're doing great!".  I also feel a sense of failure in the sense that it was Mother's Day this weekend, and I couldn't go with Emersyn to the zoo, and couldn't really do much of anything really.  Sad face.  We celebrated a great weekend with ice cream cake that Emersyn picked out for her momma and grandma...yummmm!

Emersyn with her grandma and her cow makeup-less mother

Thank-you again to my wonderful parents for all the help this weekend!  I'm happy the sun is out and 82 degrees is in the forecast tomorrow - hopefully our Sahara Desert will be lush grass very soon!
Hope you all had a great weekend!
 

5 comments:

  1. Family visits are the best for getting things done! I'm sure your grass will be green in no time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amber! You have left a comment on my blog about Door County,WI. I just wanted to thank you for commenting. It truly is a relaxing place to go and take a load off (maybe literally after you give birth...hehe! Congrats BTW....you look great.....twins.....super exciting!) Let me know if you have any questions!! Good luck! Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha! Our neighbors grass is so much greener than ours too. So sad! And I love your cake! Such a cute idea! Oh and you do NOT look like a cow! You look gorgeous! Hope your Mother's Day was great!!

    I tagged you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm seriously going to kick your ass if you keep calling yourself a cow!!! ;)

    Sounds like an accomplished weekend. I totally want a piece of that ice cream cake, looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parents are the best! And I'm with Amber on the cow comment... I'll help! :)

    I've requested an ice cream cake for my birthday cake in a couple months :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!