Friday, May 6, 2011

Very first memory

The other day, my mom and I were talking and somehow got onto the topic of first memories.

My very first memory was the night my younger brother was born - April 24, 1984. That would have made me 3 years, 7 months old.

They always say your first memory involves something you view as tragic...well, to me this was completely tragic, traumatic, and terrifying.

I used to FEAR thunderstorms...funny a lot of my early memories involve thunder and lightning. I remember screaming bloody murder overnight about thunderstorms...

And all I wanted was my mommy.


Well, I woke up in the middle of the night on April 24, 1984 to a terrible storm. Screaming, crying, hysterical. My room wasn't far from my parent's room, and I remember feeling completely out of sorts when I ran to their room for my mom - only to find that mom and dad were GONE!

I can't imagine what a storm and missing parents would translate to for a 3 year old, but I know it wasn't good.

I ran down our steps screaming for my mom, when a person sat up on the couch in front of the big picture window.

Except it wasn't my mom.

It was my aunt, Barb. She told me that mom and dad went to the hospital to have the baby. I sat on the couch with her for awhile until the storm passed.

The next morning, we went to my grandparent's house and I remember when the phone call came in... "It's a Boy!"


(I think the trauma started all over again because I desperately wanted a sister!)

I realized the other day that there may be a possibility that the birth of the twins could be involved in Emersyn's first memory. Let's hope not, because that may mean something traumatic is happening in her mind.

I really really hope there isn't a storm going on the night(?) they are born that Emersyn wakes up for. She hasn't woken up scared about a storm yet, but just you wait...the one time she does....

So as I lay here on my 4th week of house arrest, procrastinating my last test of the semester, I'm remembering my very first memory...and wondering...

What is your first memory?



3 comments:

  1. that is too funny-my first memory was when my little sister was born too..I was 3 years, 9 months old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this morning and now you have a new layout!?!? SUPER CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated thunderstorms too! I remember when my dad had pneumonia and I took him orange juice in my parents very dark room... but dunno how old I was. I remember learning to drive in a freak lightning storm (I too was afraid of lightning) in a hay field while we were trying to get the hay up before it let loose and poured... I was 4...

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!