Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Playing the Name Game

We (I) thought we had it figured out at one point.

But anyone knows that having names picked at 15 weeks and actually having those names stick just is not possible.

It happened with Emersyn too. She was almost a Hannah. She was almost an Olivia. She was almost Addison. All names that I love...but all names that kept popping up on the "Top Whatever" names list.

It doesn't mean those names are any less beautiful, in my opinion, we just go for a little more originality. As you may have guessed by our daughter's name. (Her middle name is Olivia, just for the record).

I loved Emersyn Olivia's name when we picked it out, and I love it even more now. It's perfect and beautiful and just for her.

Now, we are playing the Name Game once again. Just last week, we thought we had agreed on:
1. Jocelyn and Madelyn
2. Caleb and Carson

Well, as I expected, we are now having second thoughts. Travis came home the other night and announced that Madelyn is too common (it was in the Top 20 from 2010) and that Caleb was too common (I think #12 for boys in 2010...he apparently was reading a report somewhere!) and that they were both knocked off our list.

I personally am still rather hung up on Caleb, but we decided Madelyn would go.

We are now back looking through the Baby Names book. Travis likes Bryson and Brielle.

I was actually blown away, because I love both of those names. Particularly I love Brielle!

I also heart Griffin.

We're now trying to find names that "go well" with either of them....you know...because we can't very well wait for 26 more days to see exactly which combination of names we might need! HA!

I loved having Emersyn named from the minute we found out her gender. I feel like it made the pregnancy more personal, and I could finally quit calling her "it" or "she" and we called her "Emersyn" or "Emmy" the rest of the pregnancy.

I would like to start calling these babies by name on January 31st when the genders are revealed.

So...now I need your help! Do you have any name ideas that sound fabulous with Brielle? With Bryson? With Griffin? I don't want completely similar sounding names, but I do think somewhat matchy names is cute. I wouldn't do Larry and Barry, or Kari and Teri, however.

You get my drift.

I actually like Giselle, I think it's pretty, it just so happens to remind everyone of supermodel Giselle Bundchen.


She is obviously SUPER hot, but you probably don't want your daughter's name to remind everyone of a sexy momma like Giselle! I mean, it sends a totally different vibe than, say, Ursula or Prudence.


I also really like the name Bristol...I think it's unique and cute. I have nothing at all against Bristol Palin, but people would assume our Bristol would be named after her. I hate how names make people "assume" something, ya know?

Ahhh. The Name Game.

Suggestions, please! Who knows---one of you may be responsible for naming Toot and/or Puddle!

7 comments:

  1. my aunts are twins, their names are Annette (Ann) and Janette (Jan). :)

    And yeah I think I'd rather have Giselle than Prudence, but Ursula, isn't there an actress named that?

    Another extremely popular name that you should steer clear of if you want something different is Isabella... you know since Twilight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I a also into more unique names. I am loving Brielle what a beautiful name! What about a Brielle Maddison?

    Griffin is adorable as well!! I can't wait to here what you guys decide on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think brielle is a BEAUTIFUL name!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Advice from my colleague that I love: Give your children a name that allows them to be a Superior Court Justice or a cocktail waitress but just not a cocktail waitress.
    Isn't that great?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brielle for sure! That's gotta be one of the twins names. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber, That's just crazy. When I found out I was pregnant with Gavin, I wanted to name the baby Hannah at first and then we locked in with Addison for a girl half way through! Anyway, I love Brielle for sure. What about Brynn to go with it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmmm...I put serious thought into this. I know on facebook I said Ashley or Ashlynn and Ashton...I still like Ashton, for the record.

    I love Bryson, Brody, Carson, Lucas...

    Girls:
    Mila, McKenzie, Brielle is cute, Ella,

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!