Wednesday, June 20, 2012

First Birthday!

The boys turned ONE on June 6th..over 2 weeks ago already.  Hard to believe that we have two toddlers on the loose!

Their big day started off early (6 AM by their choice!) and I took a few pics of them outside.  It was a beautiful morning for a little camera harassment!

Their birthday theme was UNO, like the card game - not as a tribute to the Spanish language.  Just in case you were wondering.  I later found out the UNO theme was confusing to some - get it?  UNO - one.  Yeah, you get it.

Do you know how nearly impossible it is to get a picture of two one-year olds looking at the camera together?!

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to!  Mr. M was terrified of the balloons.  Mr. K was fascinated.

It went mostly like this!

I see Mr. M drew just the right card to describe himself :)
I love that little foot always up!

Mr. M "Drew Two".  I had a similar reaction when I learned I "drew two".  Plus tears!
Mr. K - my thinker :)




After the tears began to fall, we came in and played for awhile, opened presents, and had breakfast. 

We went to Applebee's for their first birthday lunch - complete with birthday singing and a strawberry cheesecake shooter!  Yum!

(I have just come to accept I will usually be the only one looking at the camera)
After naps, we had...guess what?...another photo shoot, followed by the cake smash.

The cakes!  Ooooh, the cakes.   They were SUPPOSED to look like UNO cards and I had a very cute picture I found online.  A local gal made them, and while she was nice and she tried, the cakes looked beyond horrible.  I should have just done them myself, but I was trying to free up time for other stuff.  They were not at all what they were supposed to be, but thankfully were just for smashing.  I would have never put them out at the birthday party!  They were cracked, uneven, and the decorating was just - not good.  Bah! 

I MEAN REALLY!?!
I got over my cake blues, but I did very politely tell the girl that I appreciated her effort but the cakes sucked and looked nothing like the picture they were supposed to.  I hate handling things like this.  I learned my lesson though - stick to the well known bakers/bakeries!
Sadly this was BEFORE they were smashed.  Looks like a baseball field.  Wth.
However, the ugly cakes did taste good!  Mr. M had a heyday smashing his cake - and Mr. K's cake, too!  Poor lil' man, wanted NOTHING to do with this mess nor tasting the cake.  Mr. K cried until we got him out of the scene, and 4-year old Miss E joined in on the cake eating instead!  (Though, Mr. M had pretty well manhandled BOTH cakes by this time - follows after his momma!)





Later that night, my youngest birthday boy (Mr. K) came down with a fever.  The next day, he was puking, pooping, and really miserable with a temp of 105.  Eeek!  I'm not one to get too concerned about fevers with a presumed virus, but 105 even had this momma raising an eyebrow.  He seemed otherwise just fine, and I trusted my mad assessment skills (pun intended) enough to keep calm and carry on.  His fever was letting up by the following day, so we went ahead with birthday PARTY plans for the weekend!

Birthday invites!  My favorite!
Mmmmm...cupcakes!

I wrapped a tablecloth over an ugly shelf in our garage and decorated it - worked great for the cake eating scene!






We sang Happy Birthday twice - first to Maddox, then to Kellan.  We will always sing twice on their birthday.

Truly, how can he be mine?  He still wanted nothing to do with the cake!
The youngins enjoyed the pool and water table (Mr. K was napping at this time!)
The older kids loved the pinata!
Miss E and her goods
We had a rather simple UNO themed outdoor party with about 20-25 guests.  We served taco in a bag (some call it walking taco), watermelon and cake.  Nothing fancy, but it was perfect for everyone!  The kids had fun with the sandbox, pool, swingset, and pinata.  I was going to rent a bouncy house and I am so glad I didn't!  It was really hot that day and having that many sweaty bodies jumping around would have been pretty miserable.

That's it!  My sweet babies are ONE!  I can't believe it!  I often still can't believe I have twins.  I love them so much and can't believe how far we've come in the past year.  It is unreal!

post signature

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your babies. That first year seems to go on forever and then suddenly it's over and they're walking... Ack !~!~ Looks like a great time was had and yes, those two cakes were pretty amateurish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea for a first birthday! People really didn't get it? Those invites are SO awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kellan is going to be a ladies man! They are both simply adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute birthday theme!! :) They're so stinking cute!!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is adorable! You did a great job!! Love the theme too. Very original!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute party! I'm the older sister to twin boys. My brothers turn 23 next week (!). We always had theme parties for them, supersoaker battles, scavenger hunts, etc. Since they had a summer birthday, my parents went all out. I, on the other hand, was born in January. I lived vicariously through their parties.
    I found your blog through someone, but I'm glad I did!

    Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!