Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Little Ditty About Travis & Amber

Thank-you to everyone who submitted a question/blog topic! I love to hear what people are interested in! I will get to them all, eventually.

Nicole from That's Life asked how Travis and I met, how long we dated, and how he proposed. Nicole is a newlywed---as in a couple weeks---and I just love her blog. Thanks for the question, Nichole!

We actually have a pretty cool story! Our moms go waaaay back….like back to college age. They have been forever friends.

Travis and I both grew up in North Dakota, about 80 miles apart. Travis is the same age as my older brother, and so they were buddies growing up. I remember Travis coming over to stay with my brother when I was a little girl.

Eeeeeew I hated boys then. Cooties! Travis was no exception.

Until my later years in high school---I started to take note of how hot this Travis guy had become!

I particularly remember when my family got his high school graduation pictures in the mail. I just might have intercepted them to show my friends at school. I was really cool like that.

Our moms would get together and say that they had to "set us up". That they wanted to be related one day.

My mom embarrassed me royally at my high school graduation reception. She "formally" introduced me to Travis. I had known him for years. I turned as red as the graduation gown I was wearing, said hi, and ran off to safety. Travis and I were 4 years apart. I was graduating high school the year he was graduating college.

Yeah right, like that will never happen, mom---but thanks for the humiliation!

So I went off to college and Travis went off to the workforce…this involved Fargo for both of us.

And then came my 21st birthday…September 14, 2001. My parents came down to tear up the town with an entire entourage of partygoers. (Don't kid yourself. My parents rock!)

My mom called Travis' aunt to come visit at the bar we were at. She claims they weren't staging an intervention….but I think they were! Because what 20-something man meets up on a Friday night because their aunt invited them? I mean, there were a ton of young people out. But still.

One of my friends was trying so hard to play matchmaker, but I was just too drunk to be impressive and/or flirty at this point. I didn't even try!

The night ended and there was no match made.

I worked as a cocktail waitress in a busy college bar shortly after I turned 21. Travis and his roommate were regulars. I was always so ridiculous and tried to be sure Travis was in my section. If he wasn't, I would make needless trips to the other side of the bar and pretend I was helping someone out. This was back when I wasn't in need of fat camp, and felt a little more comfortable in my body. The shirts we wore at the bar were a little on the revealing side. I just may have slipped into the bathroom as soon as I noticed 6'4" Travis was there, to touch up my lipstick and make sure I was looking my best!

I am sure I had 9 million stupid, nervous, ridiculous lines come out of my mouth trying to impress the poor guy.

And then one day….he said it…

"Thanks for giving me a fake phone number. It was some old man who answered".

--------------------------------------
To be continued.........soon!

Stay tuned! It ends nicely....

2 comments:

  1. :))

    This is so cute! EEE! I am excited to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahaha I love the line at the end! That had me laughing! I can't wait to hear more! I love good stories like this!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!