Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Texting vs. calling?

I sometimes wonder just what the social scene will look like in another 10 years.

It wasn’t so long ago where picking up the phone to actually call someone was reality.  You know, 2 or 3 years ago?  Now it seems like texting is the way to go – and why is that?  I know for me, I prefer texting someone because it is more convenient, and the other person can answer as they have time.  Time, time, time…it’s all about time.  I almost feel that calling someone now is not the way to go, because it’s time consuming, and I don’t want to disrupt someone else’s life.   I typically don’t have the time to spend on a phone conversation either, without simultaneously writing a paper, making dinner, or bathing a child.  Does that make sense?
{source}
If a phone call is in the works, I usually will text or Facebook message someone to arrange a “good” time to call.  It is kind of crazy how when my phone rings unexpectedly, I get all excited, but what I am doing at the moment determines if I will answer it or not.  Life is so busy!

A couple months ago, we were out for dinner.  A young couple who I am presuming was on a date early in their dating life was seated near us.  They were a bit nauseating within the first few minutes---holding hands and halfways standing up to make out from across their table.  Hubby and I spent a few minutes reminiscing about our early dating days (nearly 8 years ago!) and laughed how we would never act like that in public in our old age.  I was sure we’d be in for the PDA action from the young couple for the whole meal.

I was wrong.

It quickly became a love story between each of them and their phones.  It was almost as if the initial kissing and holding hands was a departure kiss…like…”Okay, I’m going to be glued to my phone now the rest of the night, thanks for the date!”

I am not sure if they were texting other people or texting eachother, but the rest of their dinner was spent with each of them staring at their phones….even after their food came.

It is crazy to me how kids sit and text eachother, despite sitting right next to eachother.  Wouldn’t it be easier to just talk?  I first realized this last fall as we were at the park one day.  A group of 4 kids, who I am guessing were about 14 or 15 years old, were sitting on the swings.  Each of them had their head down, texting.  I realized they were texting eachother within their group of 4.  They'd verbally comment or laugh about the text the person by them just sent....and then put their head back down for more texting.

One of my coworkers has a teenage granddaughter, and was recently telling me that her granddaughter was in trouble because she sent/received over 21,000 text messages IN ONE MONTH.

{GASP}

Now don’t get me wrong.  I text.  I text too much, according to my husband.  But what is too much?  Do you ever worry that the high school age kids now will really struggle come their first job interview?  That they won’t know how to respond to a question without using text slang on their phone keypad?  That they won’t know how to spell without many of the annoying abbreviations and acronyms?

Do you ever wonder what it will be like in 10 more years?  I’m sure it won’t be texting or Facebook that is popular.  Think back to just 5 years ago—we used our cell phones to call people.  10 years ago – people still used landline phones.
{source}
{GASP}

I know that my kids, for one, will be foreign to the idea of a landline phone.  We haven’t had a landline in over 3 years. 

Do you prefer texting/Facebook messaging or actual phone calls?

4 comments:

  1. I prefer texting if I am trying to meet up with someone or if I have a quick question. I prefer calling if I want to talk about important, to exhausting to text message, things.

    When I am out with friends I HATE HATE HATE it when the other person is on their phone. It is so rude and inconsiderate I try my hardest to not pull out my phone when I am spending time with people.

    When I am out on a date with a guy it is a huge plus if he doesn't pull out his phone....he should be into me at that moment (especially if we are still trying to get to know each other).

    Honestly, I am scared to see what form of communication comes about next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind texting, I don't mind talking on the phone. I hate when someone has an important thing to tell me that they facebook me. Like my cousin who had my cell number but refused to text or call to tell me she was pregnant instead she facebooked me. I was upset!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to make calls when I want to visit for quite a while - although that is typically just with my parents and my sister. Cell phone charges here are amazingly ridiculous, so we have a home phone line still. (Which is crazy b/c when I moved from the US 5 years ago, I didn't have a home phone line. But kind of have to here.)

    I text for quick things and I FB when the timing is inappropriate such as late at night/early am and when it's non-essential (time change between US/NZ messes things up at times!). I much prefer face to face, SKYPE or phone calls for big news though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I feel like I have witnessed the same texting date you described...I don't understand it! I like texting for meeting people, sending a quick love note to my husband while I'm at work, etc. But not for the person that is in front of my face! Annoying!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!