Weight Gain: I had other concerns during the appointment today so I can't remember completely, but I think I'm pushing the +40 pound mark. That makes me cringe.
Cravings: Blahhh! Really nauseated again...however....today, chocolate seemed like a good calling.
What I miss: Anything and everything about free movement. Everything hurts. Ev-er-y-thing.
What I love: My babies! They are perfection! Feeling their (now very strong!) kicks and punches...all day and night. Ha!
What I hate: Well, today's appointment grabbed the attention of many. I went for my routine 28 week visit. Prior to that, we had a growth ultrasound to get measurements, as we haven't done that for 10 weeks. The babies look great and things were looking fabulous. My cervix was measuring nice and long...
until...
The ultrasound tech had me tense up my abdominals to be sure my cervix didn't lose length. Well, it changed. And it changed a lot. It lost over 1 cm. from that maneuver alone. They care most about the shortest length of your cervix, which I learned today was 2.2 cm. Anything under 2.5 cm is a red flag that puts you at a higher risk for preterm delivery.
Thank-you, cervix, for just taking this pregnancy to a whole new high-risk level.
After some consultation and discussion, we decided to do a fetal fibronectic test, which tests for a protein that your body makes when it's gearing up to go into labor within the next 2 weeks. I left my appointment under the agreement that if that test was positive, we would return later for steroid shots to beef up the boys' lungs and expect an imminent delivery.
THANKFULLY---the test was negative! YIPEE! That means that I have a 99% chance of NOT going into labor in the next 2 weeks.
Instead, I return for another check in 1-week, or sooner if I develop any unusual symptoms. I am to "take it easy" and rest when I can. I don't have to be out of work (there's no compelling evidence that bedrest has an effect on outcome of pregnancy). Basically if my body has decided on pretermers, I will have pretermers. What I can do to help is avoid lifting, exercise, cleaning, squatting....you know, everything involved in a daily routine. So I'm on a modified rest, really, when I'm at home.
The Babies: Are looking great! This week, they are packing on body fat and can now blink their eyes (which have eyelashes by now!) They are measuring like little beasts, and that makes me really happy!
Baby A (Maddox) is measuring 3 pounds even, in the 72%. Baby B (Kellan) is measuring just behind his brother, at 2 lbs 15 oz, in the 67%. That makes for 5 lbs 15 ounces of baby. My daughter was hardly over that at term. No wonder I feel "done".
The Bump: Is not only large, but I'm considering it very uncomfortable at this point. I continue to want to kick people on a daily basis because of their rude ass comments on my size. I get that I'm huge. I don't like that I'm huge. But get over it.
My favorite comment from Rudesville this week comes from a young resident doctor as we were waiting for the elevator:
Young clueless doctor, as she is obviously staring at my belly: "Wow...just...wow. That's all I have to say about that because I always hear that pregnant women do not like being asked when they are due."
Me, really wishing I weren't wearing my employee ID badge so I could spout off with an equally rude comment: "Yep. It's twins. I know I'm huge". (really thinking to myself...."really, lady? You think staring and dumbass comments are better than asking me when I'm due?!"
Young clueless doctor, still staring stupidly at my belly: "I do not envy you one bit!"
The thought bubble above my head: "I don't envy you either because you're really lacking in bedside manner. Dummy".
What is fascinating about that encounter is that I recognized this girl from somewhere. I looked at her employee badge (she doesn't work on my same floor) and recognized the name...got back to my desk and double checked the name in my own medical chart...it was the same doctor who told me for the very first time last October in the Emergency Room...."it's twins!"
**I didn't get a belly pic this week. I looked like junk at my appointment this morning as we got ZERO sleep (not even kidding) around here last night, Emersyn was up ALL night coughing. Uncontrollably. And puking when she did so. Poor baby. I then spent the remainder of the morning in on/off tears because I was (am) freaked out by the appointment. I completely forgot about anything related to taking pictures.**
The Genders: TWO BOYS!!
Maddox James (Baby A)
![]() |
| He likes to be mysterious with his little hands over his eyes often! |
and
Kellan Thomas (Baby B!)










no more class?!? you lucky duck..i'll never get to see that beautiful baby bump ever again!
ReplyDeleteOh wow, what do your professors say about no more classes?
ReplyDeleteAmber, I have to say that this visit was probably a blessing in disguise. Because if you're going to have pre-termers, you will, but at least this way you are AWARE that it's a real possibility. You have time to mentally prepare yourself for this, scary as it may seem. It won't just catch you by surprise.
ReplyDeleteI'll keep praying for you and your family. Can't wait to see your beautiful boys when they decide to come.