Is anyone old enough to remember the Saturday Night Live feature, "Deep Thoughts...by Jack Handey"?
I spent many a night back in the day during my late-night babysitting gigs watching some SNL. I like to think it was actually funny then, but it may have been the fact that I was like 13 then, when everything was funny. I think I giggled all day long, over such quotes as...
"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he’s real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea."
and
"If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you’ll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, a free dummy."
( Looking back on some of Jack's deep thoughts now...I wonder what kind of medical diagnosis he had to come up with some of this stuff?)
Truth be told, my deep thoughts lately aren't as "fun" as they once were. I miss my days of "deep thoughts" wondering why people invented those funny fuzzy kind of earmuffs with the fur on the outside. Wouldn't the fur better serve its purpose if it was against your ear?
Old school earmuffs were dumb. Well, all earmuffs are dumb. I'm glad I only owned them in the era I thought Jack's quotes were absolutely hysterical. (I don't even own a winter hat aside from the one in our emergency kit!)
It's also a really good thing that it has been in the 70's lately and capris and short sleeves are in order!
So my deep thoughts on this day:
1) I wonder if Maddox and Kellan's lungs are beefing up as I type? I received my first of 2 steroid shots to speed up their lung and brain development today. I go back tomorrow for my second shot. Long story involving no changes for me (yay!) but we are playing our cards safe. I am deemed way more likely than not to have preemies in the future, but 99% likely not in the next 2 weeks as I had another negative fibronectin test today (woop woop!) My goal is still 36 weeks. Positive thinking and power of prayer....
2) I don't care what anyone says, that very potent dose of steroids they shot in my hip today burned.
3) I wonder if I will be as excited about this lover once it arrives on my doorstep as I am over the thought of it? Our My extensive double strollers for twins research led me to the Baby Jogger City Mini Double. There's a cool glider board accessory that can attach to the back to make a riding platform for Emersyn when she needs a boost as well! (I still routinely put her in a stroller for trips to the mall, zoo, walks, etc). I just envisioned I would get a double stroller that was front-to-back vs. side-by-side seating until I delved into it a little more. I was really happy to have my hubby agree on a stroller with me as well, and thankful he didn't pass out over the pricetags on double strollers.
![]() |
4) I wonder if I will go stir crazy by the end of the week? Today, they took me out of school and work for sure through this week. While I have no benefit of being on total bedrest (research has proven that laying there doing nothing isn't beneficial for a pregnancy and can increase stress to many mothers...which I guarantee you would be me!), the doctor today took me out of stuff this week because of the steroids and to give me a chance to attempt to curb my exhaustion. People have suggested that bedrest would be better but I disagree. Four different doctors now have told me it would do me no good. My brain has been trained to base any decision off of research - and by golly - the doctor's are right, bedrest alone is not the answer. They told me not to go on any long runs, not to do any strenuous exercise..HA! Pretty sure that wasn't a factor to begin with! My contributors to possible preterm labor are 1) twins and 2) my cervix to begin with. So, the rest of this week....I will be home. And it will feel so unfamiliar to me...
5) If you are the praying type, please pray for this young family. I went to nursing school with this girl's husband, and while I personally do not know this girl, my heart is sad for them. They have a brand new baby (first child) and the mother/wife started having severe headaches shortly after. They found out she has a brain tumor and operated yesterday. I only know what is listed on her website that chemo/radiation are probably in her future. I can't imagine what they are going through, so please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
That's it, that's all! Happy Hump Day!!









Not only do I remember Deep Thoughts, I had a radio show in college based on it! :) Happy Wednesday and try to enjoy your time at home!
ReplyDelete