Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wordless Wednesday: RIP Cap'n?

I heard a terrible rumor last week that the Captain was dying.

Captain Horatio Magellan Crunch, that is.  Better known to us as Cap'n Crunch.
The reason given last week on the radio was that Cap'n Crunch was contributing too heavily to the childhood obesity epidemic.
Um...
(insert crickets chirping sound here)

I have an interest in childhood obesity, as it happens to be the topic of my doctoral project.

I guess I haven't ran across any research studies indicating that the Cap'n was a large contributor to the problem.  (But that is for another story!)  I get that it has a ton of sugar in it and it's not healthy. 

So if it's an issue....don't buy it for your kids.  It seems simple right? 

Apparantly, Quaker was quietly pulling the Captain off the shelves.  He wanted an easy departure.

I Googled for updates on the Cap'n, and found suggestions that "he" is not retiring, but was getting a more healthy outlook on life, not hopped up on quite so much sugar per serving.

I can't be sure, but I think this is the New Cap'n in disguise..."Crunchy Corn Bran".
I mean, it looks kind of suspicious, no?  I haven't seen this before on the shelves...have you?

But wait!  There is no Captain Horatio Magellan Crunch on the box.  It's just not the same.

I will be doing some under cover investigative work on the matter this morning during my trip to Target.  I will report back to you all if I see 1) No more Cap'n on the shelves or 2) Crunch Corn Bran in its place.

Just think...there may be a day, very soon, when we can all say...."When I was a kid, Pluto was a planet, TIME magazine was still published, and Cap'n Crunch was a cereal".

A sure sign of age.

1 comment:

  1. oh geez everything causes childhood obesity except for the parents not paying attn... Ok so maybe not since you are doing research on it but seriously...

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!