Thursday, July 29, 2010

Favorite Fridays: Party Game!

HAPPY FRIDAY! I'm going to McStinky it up with Jen from A Girl in Pearls and a Boy with Toys for Favorite Fridays! Also participating in Follow Me Chicakdee...yes I know, big day!

Jen's question is, "What is your favorite party game?"

My absolute favorite game of all time is Balderdash.


It's kind of hard to explain, but what you do is make up answers to questions and try and bluff the other players. The Bluffer reads the question, writes the correct answer off the card, and the other players write what they think the answer is. The purpose is to have other players vote for your answer as it is read along with the other made-up answers, as well as the correct answer.

For example, the question might list a name. In the context of this blog post, we will use the name Ruth Tucker. You would write on your answer sheet what you think Ruth Tucker is known for. And you want to be convincing, as the purpose is to get others to vote for your answer. So the more believable, the better you do.

Generally speaking, the questions are pretty bizarre and the actual answers are pretty funny/intriguing themselves, so it really forces you to use that imagination!

Well, over the years, we have put a whole new twist on Balderdash.

Our twist is immature, crude, and evolved in our much younger days after a hard night of partying. We needed a new game, as the usuals of Hockey, P and A, and Ride the Bus were all overdone at that point.

Enter Dirty Balderdash.

(Disclaimer: Do not judge…we all have our moments. Dirty Balderdash just might make those moments a little more offensive. I promise I'm not a twisted individual. Okay well just a little. (End Disclaimer)

We took away the "real" rules of the game and played so that the Bluffer picked a question, everyone wrote down what they thought it was, and we voted on the most original, usually most perverted, most ridiculous, and most offensive answer. The Bluffer doesn't include the "real" answer in this version. Everyone writes down the most absurd, ridiculous, dirtiest answer they can think of. The winner of the round is whoever got the most votes for the "best" (as in, the dirtiest) answer. And then that person got to hand out drinks to other players.

Ohhh, back in the day. Pre-baby, pre-grad school… .pre-responsibility...

Now back to Ruth Tucker.


I went down to our game cabinet and pulled out our Balderdash game just now and found hundreds of little squares of paper with answers on them from last time we played Dirty Balderdash….which was last November when my lil' bro, his girlfriend, and some friends of ours were over.

I had to shuffle through nearly all of the answers before I found a couple that were remotely appropriate for this posting. Afterall, I am superduperexcited about my new followers and I'd hate to offend anyone this early on! (Welcome, friends!)

Here are a few actual answers written for what Ruth Tucker was believed well known for:

"Ruth Tucker was the mother of the world's first guy to do the mangina"

"Ruth Tucker holds the world record for swallowing 40 quarts of camel semen" (Gag. Barf. Ish!)

"Ruth Tucker invented the mangina" (I guess the name Ruth Tucker makes people think of manginas. I apologize sincerely if anyone reading this is named Ruth Tucker.)

"Ruth Tucker is an old pornstar who was the first to discover ………..( I just cannot post the rest of this answer here. Sorry)

"Bruce Tucker: He was well hung" (um, apparently the person who wrote this answer needed another drink, as they were talking about Bruce Tucker and we were asking about Ruth Tucker)

Do you see where this might be going? And these are the tame ones.

My Dirty Balderdash Glory Days are long behind me, as my mind can hardly escape the reality of all things serious and school-related these days.

Except for the next 5 weeks, as I am officially DONE with my first year of Family Nurse Practitioner studies as of about an hour ago! HAPPY DANCE!!

But for real, if you haven't ever played Balderdash before, I suggest to try it. It is hilarious and I haven't yet met a person who didn't like it. Dirty Balderdash? = more props to ya.

Have a fabulous weekend everyone!

5 comments:

  1. We love Balderdash at our house! I'm your newest follower from the Friday Hop. :)

    The Homeschool Chick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM A HUGEEEEE balderdash fan! We just got the game, but before we would just pick a word out of the dictionary! I am a pro at that game!

    BUT now I want to play the dirty version.. LIKE NOW!!!

    okay after 5 drinks.. :) I'd be much better at it after 5 drinks or so :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your newest follower from Follow Me Chickadee
    http://www.adamsadventures-ourlifeunedited.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha Dirty Balderdash sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!