Sunday, July 11, 2010

Prostates, Paps, and Pelvics…Oh My!

Wow. So where have I been, you ask?

It's been a cuh-razy week, to say the very least! I just simply haven't had time to blog. It wasn't a week where procrastination was an option, despite the fact I had last Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off of work and classes up in Minneapolis the rest of the week. Whew!

As the title suggests…this was the week in class when things started to get "real". And I mean that quite literally! I knew the male and female exams were coming this summer, and honestly was a little excited about that and feeling like a "real" provider. I was expecting we'd review it in class, practice on a few dummies, and be set to give it a go this fall during clinicals on a subject that actually had a pulse.

Until last week when I read an email from our instructor and dang near choked on my drink as I read it. The dummies I was expecting to practice on…were going to be real people! Uhhh, say whaaaaaaat? You want me to do a prostate and pelvic exam on real people for the very first time?

Gulp!

I think I went into panic mode. It's a good thing I read that email with a few days to spare, to kind of get used to that idea.

And furthermore, I started to wonder just who volunteers their bodies to a class of 35 students to "practice" on? Whaaaaaat?

Well, Thursday rolled around and I left the house at 6 AM to make it to class in Minneapolis by 8 AM. (On a side note, it's a dang good thing I don't live where there is massive traffic on a daily basis. I just don't deal well and would probably be in jail by now for road rage!) Thursday was the male exam day. I have to admit I was super nervous about doing the prostate exam a living being for the first time! In case you are wondering…to be able to touch a prostate, you must go in through…um…the back door, if you will. Yep. That's the reason behind the nerves.

Much to my surprise (and relief!), the male models who volunteered to do this had 12+ years of experience in this exact scenario. I find that a little bizarre, but am ever oh so thankful there are people who are willing to do this for the sake of learning! Not to mention they get paid very well for doing so. I told Travis I found a new side job for him…he wasn't amused and I think will be sleeping on his back from now on out of fear that I will "practice" some more. HA! Okay, I'm kidding. I don't want to go there in our relationship. There are certain body parts that belong to your spouse and shouldn't ever, ever be touched by you. I think a prostate falls into that category.

There were 6 of us in my particular exam room with the model. I really had to feel bad for the guy, lining up to have 6 women practice on him. He was a great sport and a wonderful teacher and walked us right through the process. I was really surprised I wasn't nervous about it once it was crunch time. I was also very relieved when it was over!

Friday, we shifted gears to the female anatomy. I wasn't a bit nervous for the pelvic exam, probably because as a female myself, I knew what was involved and what to expect. However, being on the giving end of that exam is a whole other ballgame! You see much more than the ceiling…to say the least! I learned a ton about the female body because again, there is just so much more than you learn once you can actually see it all. It's different seeing it in real life vs. seeing it in a textbook. Our female model was an amazing teacher and had been doing this for many many years. She gave us each pointers and feedback throughout the exam and it wasn't at all intimidating or uncomfortable. I have a brand new appreciation for giving birth now. I mean honestly, the cervix opening was about the size of a pinhead and I kept thinking…DANG!! That has GOT to hurt to pry that to 10 cm. Yikes no wonder I was freaking out when I was giving birth myself. That just seems unreal to me…but very, very cool! I am finding that I really am intrigued by women's health and who knows where that might lead me down my career path.

Anyways, overall it was a great experience and I am so glad I got the "firsts" out of the way before stepping foot in clinical this fall. It is always much more reassuring if your patient asks "have you done this before?" and you can tell them "yes, I have done it before!" and feel confident about that. I am so relieved and now even more excited about the career ahead of me. In 2 more years. Cripes!

Changing gears---Emersyn and I met up with my good friend Heather the other day for lunch. Heather is 37+ weeks pregnant with their first baby! It's a girl and I am SOOO excited to meet this little sweetie and so excited for Scott and Heather to meet their precious girl. They will be amazing parents! While at lunch, we shared some chocolate cake. It was delicious and calorie-free, I am sure! Emersyn loved it.



 

In other news, it's back to a full week tomorrow. I will be sure to do more updates this week and will be coming back in style with Fun Fact Friday later this week!

Happy Monday to you all!


 


 

1 comment:

  1. Seems like a busy week!

    I laughed out loud when you said you didn't know who would volunteer for that. I just couldn't imagine letting that many people see and touch me down there! YIKES!!

    As for those pictures of your darling daughter..

    they are just that... DARLING!! :) so cute! love her cute smiling messy face!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!