Friday, December 31, 2010

2011. Full of ch-ch-ch-CHANGES!

Happy New Year, loves!


I just want to thank each of you for having such an impact on my life this past year. Seriously, though it sounds a bit odd, I never truly imagined when I started my little blog last December just how much I'd get out of it, how much it would grow, and how many new friendships I feel like I have made! I looked back on my old posts and I hit the one year mark earlier in December. I had no clue! Thanks for being faithful and thanks for sticking with me when I have failed in the blogging world.

I'm also very flattered by all the sweet compliments I have gotten!! WOW!! To answer the question..."How do you do it all?" Well, I will share a secret. His name is Travis, and he is a huge help around the house, with Emersyn, and otherwise. Seriously, my house is usually what takes the shaft when life as mother, wife, nurse, and student gets to be hectic. I have a feeling this coming spring semester will be the harshest to date---because there will be a factor called being "way pregnant" involved! I am amazed at how much more exaggerated EVERYTHING is with this pregnancy. Twin pregnancy, I believe, will wreak total havoc on my body!!

We will find out in 2011 how it all unfolds! I couldn't be more excited.

I keep going back and forth between girl/girl and girl/boy predictions. And THEN--the other night---had a dream about 2 boys! So I have had dreams about everything so far. My intuition sucks! We will find out on January 31, 2011! YAY!

What else will 2011 have in store?

Big changes. Big, BIG changes.

This last day of 2010 may have been a preview just as to how large of changes I am talking about. I don't have a picture for proof, and I really wish I would, because it's like a (nightmare?) coming true for me.

We test drove a minivan. YES. A minivan. (Remember my disdain for minivan drivers?)

One that looks very similar to this one.
Long story made very short: Travis is often more logical than his free-spirited wife. We have both known it from the minute we met! He also took a Dave Ramsey financial management class last summer and is all financial-guru on me now. He insists we get a vehicle we can pay for in full and have no car payment moving forward. Since, well, daycare for 3 children is going to put me out on the streets! Way expensive. Travis' plan makes sense, and his more illogical wife agreed (with MUCH hesitancy and grumbling!) to getting something we can pay cash for and leave.

Everything I have had my eye on costs over $20,000 easily. I don't have 20 G's in my couch cushions, so what we CAN afford that is LARGE enough...and very safe...is a minivan.

The things we sacrifice for our children! I will admit, the vehicle is pimped on the inside. Heated leather seats, 6-disc DVD/CD player, GPS, automatic doors and trunk, etc etc etc. I'd deem it a dream come true on paper before reading the "minivan" description.

I digress.

Next big change: Our daycare situation. This makes me so sad, as I feel like I have been slapped in the face. We have been at Kathy's since Emersyn was a baby. We love Kathy and were so excited when she said she could take the twins! The other day, she called me on my day off to "make sure we were both on the same page". So we talked contract, etc. She said there was a $150 holding fee per twin, which I completely and fully expected. It was the same before Emersyn started.

Later in the conversation, after Kathy seemed strangely nervous, I caught onto something she had said.

She is talking $150 per child PER WEEK. For 3 months. To pay her for NOT watching the twins.

Do the math and that is $3,600 that would NOT be applied to daycare at any point. It would more or less be pissed down the pot. She would be getting paid for 5 kids, and only watching 3. (Plus Emersyn is only going to daycare 2 days per week during my maternity leave). She would be making $450 each week to watch Emersyn for 2 days. 16 hours.

I was, and am, completely crushed. Even more so after I asked about a multi-child family discount (3 of her 5 clients would be our children!). Most places I know of do a multi-child discount.

She would not even consider it.

We have been with her for 2.5 years and have a wonderful relationship. We have been very faithful, very flexible, and never have had a late weekly payment to her.

I was devastated. I called another daycare provider (a friend of mine) to see what the "normal" policy is. She said of all the providers she knows or has ever heard of, the policy is to charge a DAILY rate per week to hold a spot.

That would be $30/week per child vs. $150/week per child.

I do not see why Kathy thinks she is being reasonable. I also am totally taken aback and have realized that she isn't as wonderful of a person as I thought she was. She has done great things with Emersyn and I thank her for that. There is someone else out there that I will love even more who is the right 2nd momma for my 3 little loves.

I called Kathy today (day off) and told her that the twins will not be coming to her, and Emersyn will soon be done. I have found 2 other places I will interview soon to see when Emersyn can start, get established, and then have her new babies join her in September.

I was dreading the call to Kathy because it felt like a bad break-up.


I got off the call and after recognizing how unaffected she sounded, I knew I had made the right choice. Some other provider out there is waiting for my babies with a heart full of love and patience. I will find them. I already have 2 very wonderful sounding leads who I will interview very soon.

So...new babies. New daycare. New ride. New stretch marks.

A few guarantees come 2011.
I have no choice but to be ready, as it officially starts in 20 minutes!

Hope you all had a wonderful and safe New Years!

5 comments:

  1. As I get off another crazy shift at the hospital on New Year's eve and read your post, maybe I should open a daycare instead of going to school for a Nurse Practitioner?
    Then again I'm not much for pediatric care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! 450 for daycare. Now I'm scared to have kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah i knew you'd get a minivan! love it!
    sorry about your daycare stress..it's too bad things didn't work out with kathy, but you like you said, you know you have made the right choice. maybe this is God's way of bringing you to someone amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, NOOOOOOO!!! You can't get a minivan. I know, I will be the exact same way...or maybe not but either way, pimped out or not...I guess safety is #1 especially when you are talking about you chillins. Its one thing when it's just you.

    Second, wow! What a total B* of a daycare provider. You are right, if she didn't seem affected then it's her loss not yours. That really is alot of money to be paying for a holding fee. I have never heard of that, but in the distant future when I have kids, I'll remember that!

    Third, I'm hoping for Travis's sake that you are carrying at least one boy so he is not the only man in the house. I'm anxious to find out what you are having! Best of luck in 2011!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow! That's a lot of money to have to cough up! Well she'll be missing out, it's her loss!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!