Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Fargo? Yah sure! You Betcha!

It's been nearly 4 years since we moved out of Fargo. I grew up about 120 miles from Fargo, and went to college at NDSU (Go Bison!) from 2000-2004, when I graduated with a Sports Med degree. Travis and I got married in 2005 and I started nursing school shortly after. We moved down here to SE Minnesota right after Christmas, 2006. Hard to believe it's been 4 years!

I miss Fargo. It's a great college town and I had some of the best years of my life in Fargo. I have always described Fargo as a great town in a crummy location. Because, well, let's face it. North Dakota winters are not something that many people desire! Though I'm only about 350 miles away from Fargo right now, and despite just getting dumped on with snow last weekend, Travis and I both agree that the winters here in SE Minnesota are much more mild in comparison. Maybe that's why nothing phases either of us when it comes to weather here. Maybe that's why we both roll our eyes when school gets canceled for 2 consecutive days here for "cold temps". Maybe that's why we both couldn't believe our first winter here when everyone around us was complaining about the "hard winter". We were both thinking..."seriously? You should see where we come from".

Anyways, no one can argue that Fargo, North Dakota is a desirable place in the winter. You'd lose that argument. Fargo is not a desirable place in the winter. It's cold. But you know what? It doesn't make it any less of a good place to be.

I just loved reading this story about the Just Born candy company. The makers of Mike & Ike, Hot Tamales, and Peeps. (I heart Hot Tamales!) They were offered an incentive for 2010 sales....increase sales by 4%, and you get an all-expense paid trip to Hawaii.


If you fall below the 4% mark....you get an all-expense paid trip to Fargo.

In December.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which is the more desirable location.

One glance at this picture will reveal where the Just Born employees are spending their week!

It has been fun to follow their week via the Fargo newspaper. They've made national headlines with this as well. Turns out the 24 employees who made the trip to Fargo are having a great time! They have been blown away by the hospitality and how nice everyone is, and some are making plans to visit again.

In the summer, of course!

It makes me proud to be from there. I'm glad that Fargo is showing the Just Born employees the true definition of cold hands...and warm hearts!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, I was on the NDSU campus while you were still going to college there. I think I went up in April of 2003 (maybe)... Down here we were running around in jeans and t-shirts or long sleeved t-shirts and light weight jackets at night... we got up there and the 4 Missouri girls about froze our arses off!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!