Thursday, June 28, 2012

I am part ape. Really.

So, if someone told you there was a 10% chance of having twins, would you believe them?

If someone told you that 10% of the population has an extra vertebrae (bone in their spinal column), would you think it would be you?

If you had a 10% chance of winning the lottery, would you feel confident?

My answers:
No
No
No

Well I already shook the odds and have my sweet twins.  I wouldn't change that outcome for the world.  Score 1 for me!

Yesterday, I went to the chiropractor.  Let me clarify that I am not a chiropractic kind of gal.  I don't know why, just never really believed in it.  I was convinced to give it a try with Mr. M, who has had problems with fluid behind his ears, and I do have to say - dare I say - we have made improvement since he started treatment.  (Knocking on wood!)

I really do love his chiropractor, and she has a lot of experience with peds.  When I was given a discount coupon for an eval of my own, I decided to give chiropractic care a try...I'm in an Integrative Healing course this summer, and we have to do an assignment along this lines anyways, so I figured it would be a win-win for us.

I went to my exam yesterday and wasn't at all surprised to hear that the left side of my body is pretty much shot to heck!  The mapping of my spine they did showed all sorts of problem areas with my left side.  (T1 for those who really care!)  This explains a lot of my shoulder symptoms - yay!

I also found out I have 6 lumbar (low back) vertebrae.  Most people have 5.  I have 6.  I learned that our more apelike ancestors had 6 lumbar vertebrae.

Unless you join me in this 10%, it's safe to say you are much more evolved than I.


I always knew there was a reasonable explanation for being 5'10".  I really should only be about 5'8".  That dang extra bone! (Side note for anyone who cares: it's not a cause for concern)

Now, I sit with my ape-like skeleton and wait for it to be my turn to win the lottery...
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, I did know there was a possibility of more bones in your spine b/c we learned that in A&P I with a gal in our class who was that way, I just didn't know the odds :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me with those odds, 10% twins, 10% vertebrae, might want to buy that Powerball ticket.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!