I really will pull myself out of this mess. But for now, here's some food for thought. Did I mention I should be working on my logic model paper?
Emersyn started dance class a month ago. I put her in this ONLY because she LOVES to dance, and dance and dance and dance. She puts music on at home and "shakes it" till she just can't shake no mo'! This is a little video clip from last October, when she was 18 months old. She had no clue we were recording her. It was an impromptu video with my phone so the quality is poor, but the video is pretty cute. She was just learning how to walk at 18 months when this was taken so she's pretty wobbly. Oh! And please disregard the vulgar music AND obscene mess in the background. We were in the middle of cleaning out the "back room" and it was horrendous. I had stuff thrown out of the closet ALL OVER the place as you can see. When I talk about my messy house, I am not referring to that kind of mess. That was an exception. And the music? Whipping out the old school Juvenile and walking back to my freshman year in college. So what if my 18-month old is shakin' what her momma was shakin' to this song oh-so-many years ago! I now only listen to such music in my own privacy. She'd be repeating those words for sure!
So as you can see, the girl loves to dance. I enrolled her in ½ hour dance classes for a 13-week commitment this fall, only because I thought she would really enjoy it.
Not because I want to be an overbearing, obnoxious mom who is pushing her 2-year old to be a dance star.
Not it at all.
After one terrible, one okay, one so-so, and one really good night at dance class (behavior wise), and after hearing Emersyn talk during the week about how "fun dance cwass" is, I have decided to keep bringing her to her 30 minute class each Thursday night. For awhile, I was wondering if she was really having as much fun with it as I thought she would. Her behavior at the class sometimes suggested otherwise, despite her talking about "dance cwass" all week long.
So we are in it for the fun and exercise. Not to be a star, nor for it to be stressful.
Rewind to 2 weeks ago, when we got to class and were each handed a blue order form, with the message "costume fees are due by October 16th. They are $48 this year".
Hmmmm. What are costumes needed for?
Turns out there is a recital next May.
Yes, in May.
Remember this is only a 13-week class?
Yeah, that's what I thought too.
I find out that the expectation is that we finish Session 1, enroll in session 2, and participate in the dance recital next May.
We buy the costume now so as to set up for another $65 session fee for next spring, basically.
Costumes, certain tights, shoes, and hairstyles.
My first thought was "no way", because I'm not committing her to 2 sessions of dance in a row, split up by one session of swimming lessons (which she has done since she was 8 months old, and LOVES).
It seems too much for a 2-year old. Or a 2-year old's mother who also works, goes to school, and has clinical each week. I'm way too unorganized for that, and we all know it!
My second thought, later that night, was "oh boy!! How much fun will it be to see Emersyn in one of those fancy dance recital costumes being all cute on stage next spring?" (She will be 3 by then, just for the record).
My third thought was, "I'm not spending $48 for her to wear a fancy recital costume for one night, no matter how cute she would look in it".
My fourth thought was pretty much the same as my first thought…"too much, too soon".
My fifth thought happened after our class this past Thursday. I asked the teacher a bit more about this recital. She said it is very low-key, very laid back, and they work on the "routine" for it in the 1 or 2 classes leading up to the performance night. Of course, you can't have some organized presentation with a bunch of 2 and 3 year olds, so they probably more or less put on their costumes, go on stage, put their hands in the air and say "ta-da!" a few times, and have the audience clap wildly over how cute everyone looks.
My fifth thought was "okay, we will do it, it doesn't really seem like that big of a deal".
I am on the fence.
Please enlighten me as to what my 6th thought should be?
The costume fee is due by the 16th and I may just have 90 more thoughts by then!
Were you in dance cwass as a youngin? Did you think it was too young? Did your mom sit and deliberate like a crazy lady back and forth over whether it was too much pressure for you?
Do you want me to shutup about it?
I will if you leave me some feedback/thoughts on what my 6th thought should be...
AND...
after I post some pics from our fantabulous weekend! I won't bore you with details. Her and I went to a park on Friday (it was gorgeous out!) and we all went to the apple orchard on Saturday morning. They have little petting zoos, corn mazes, games, and pumpkins at the orchards around here too. She had a blast! We all did!Now back to that 6th thought.................................???
Hope you're all having a great night!







I don't have a girl - and I was never in dance class - so I don't know...but my thought was NO WAY! I took Brennen to tumble class and he didn't listen and just ran wild. I wouldn't pay $$ for all that $tuff with my child. Hope I could help - haha.
ReplyDeleteAnd holy cow - where did our babies go?! I remember your orchard photos from Em in a wagon when she was young. She's such a big girl now - and adorable ; )
I have no idea what your 6th thought should be! Does she really love dance cwass? do you have the xtra $$$ to spend? if yes to both, then go for it. I guess. (What do i know? I'm not a mom yet... but i'm afraid that when I become one, i'll be one of those, taking pictures and ooooh-ing and ahhhh-ing over the cuteness.) Good luck! :D
ReplyDeleteMy thought is go for it. My mom put me in dance when I was two. I did the recital and everything. It is a wonderful activity for kids I think and I am looking for a dance class for Miss E actually...not easy on the prairie. However limits on all activities are necessary. This is just the beginning I promise. Letting kids be kids and not getting wrapped up into the world's ideas of what you should be doing with your child is key I think. Do what is best for your family. Emersyn will not remember and hold it against you in 10 years I promise!
ReplyDeleteKatie
:)
ReplyDeleteI think I would be the mom who WOULD pay that kind of money..
I feel like you'll never regret doing it.. and you may regret not doing it! She'll only be this young once!
plus I'd love to see cute pictures of my DIL all dressed up! So maybe I am saying all this for selfish reasons!
Oh how adorable is she!!! Love the pics!
ReplyDeleteAnd as to your question, I was in dance from the time I was about 5 until I was in junior high. You are right that the first few years aren't as exciting of a dance as the older years are, I think partly because the kids are young and don't always remember. But it is cute. Should you decide too, I don't think you'll regret it... and if you choose not to, there's always next year.
Hello from Mingle Monday. I can relate to the whole dance situation. My 4y/o was 3 last year when we tried dance. She ended up refusing to get out to the car by the 2nd month. She loves it at home but not in class.
ReplyDeleteI think there are lots of moms who put their children in activities, such as dance, for themselves and not the child. You are clearly NOT one of those moms, Amber! If I had a daughter I would TOTALLY do it if she was liking it and it was not stressful. I would want the cute little outfits and all the pictures no matter the cost :-)
ReplyDeleteI think that asking for costume money in October for a recital in May is ridiculous....nevermind the amount of money or the additional class commitment. And I bet if you wait until the second session, you'll have another opportunity to order costumes then.
ReplyDelete