Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Small choices, BIG rewards!

There is a health program for Mayo employees called LiveWell.  There are several components to the program, and it's excellent.  One of my favorite things is a monthly publication that is mailed out.  It's all about living well, obviously.  I look forward to reading each month and learn something new each time.

I the August LiveWell publication today, and on the front page, there's a scary little tidbit of data.

Anyone want to guess what percentage of American adults do all of the following? (According to the Journal of the American Medical Association)
  • Eat a healthy diet
  • Have a normal blood pressure
  • Exercise regularly
  • Don't smoke
  • Have a normal blood sugar level
  • Are at a healthy weight
  • Have healthy cholesterol levels
Just 1.7 percent...

1.7%
(gasp!)

 I can't criticize because I don't meet the healthy weight standard -just yet - however - I am really really really trying to achieve that again.  It's been so difficult and discouraging.  The twin pregnancy was hard on me!  I've been running for 3 months now, faithfully, and I have gained 2 lbs since starting this despite following a specific diet.  I normally would have given up by now, but I am so displeased with my weight and I just have to keep trying.  Eventually, the plateau will be behind me and I'll be glad I stuck it out.  I started off so strong and then BAM.  Nothing.

Anyhow, considering just 1.7% of the population makes the lifestyle behaviors above a priority is a bit concerning.  Take time for YOU.  You deserve that!
Small choices can offer big rewards.  Here are some ideas, and remember that no matter how small, healthy choices add up to make a big difference!
  • Eat at least 5 fruits and veggies each day
  • Eat less meat - especially red and processed meat (side note: we do red meat once a week or less, much to my husband's disappointment.  It is just such an unhealthy option!)
  • Don't use tobacco!
  • Get regular physical activity/exercise
  • Reduce screen time - TV or computer! (Big issue when you're in grad school with online courses!)
  • Eat fewer potato chips.  Drat!
  • Drink zero to few sugary beverages
  • Reaching and maintaining healthy weight
  • Eat more whole grains and yogurt
  • Get 6-8 hours of sleep each night (hahahHA!  I'm willing to bet there are not many multiples mommies who can say this).
So true!
Just a little food for thought.  Happy Wednesday!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. 1.7%?!?! That's so scary, but totally believeable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad isn't it?? Definitely great tips to remember!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!