Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Countdown to 5K is ON!

I'm not even sure how this came to be a part of my life - in fact, I'm still scratching my head a bit.  Let me back up and give a more descript picture.

1.  I have had 3 surgeries on my left knee, all before the age of 24.  My knee sounds like Rice Krispies now.

2.  Running a 5K involves training, which means waking up at the buttcrack.  Which I am too lazy for.

3.  Running with puffy milk boobs hurts.  Plain and simple.

4.  I despise laundry and really don't need any more clothes to add to my pile.

5.  I hate running.  I can't breathe through it and I think it's boring, and should only be reserved for when someone is running after you with an ax.  Or a gun.  Or a machete.  You get it.
 So what possessed me to start running back in April?  Aside from the obvious chubby post-twin body and being in the worst shape of my life, I signed up with some friends for the Dirty Girl Mud Run - a 5K muddy obstacle course.  (August 4th - soo excited!)  I downloaded the Couch to 5K app on my iPhone to sort of help prepare for this.  I have a love affair with my phone, so I suppose reality is that I couldn't let my phone down by not finishing the program it's using so much of its memory on.  Thus began my commitment on April 26th when I "ran" a nearly 13 minute mile.  Lamesviille.  This was 1 minute jogging, 1 minute walking, and so forth.

The weeks ticked by and pretty soon I was up to running 5 minute stretches - then 8 - then 20 -eventually, 30 minutes of straight running. Then, 4 mile goals vs. time goals.  I have said many times before, I am not a runner, so even 30 minutes without stopping seems big to me.

I'm running my first 5K this Saturday, the Dirty Girl on August 4th, and in October will be doing a 10K!

  (What the???!!!?!?)

Reality is that anyone can become a runner if they decide that's what they're going to do.  It is completely mind over matter.  I'm dang stubborn so I am enjoying the challenge - both mentally and physically - that this has brought. I would not say I love running, though.  I need goals, and I need a clear outline of how to get there.  I love accomplishing goals more so than the actual activity I think.  I've wrapped up the 5K iPhone app and replaced it with this training schedule:
(This is my month ahead.  Balls!!)

Saturday is just around the corner.  I'm nervous and excited.  And ready.  I'm not planning on setting any records - just me getting out there and running without stopping from start to finish is record in itself!

(PS - the 5 AM awakenings remain a struggle for me.  How is it that a twin mommy can be up at allllll hours of the night for a year, and then when your only challenge is to sleep all night and wake up early for something NON-baby related, it's nearly impossible?!?!?!)
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Girl, you rock. I think the same you that you used to about running. I hate it because I can't breathe & like the some ecard - my thighs clap for me, hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!