Thursday, February 17, 2011

What's wrong with this picture?!

I have a little bit of an obsession with gossip. Celebrity gossip, small town gossip....I just like to really be "in the know".

I also REALLY get a kick out of tabloids. Some of them in particular (without defamation of any one magazine's character, let's just say the stories of 20 pound newborns, toddlers who smoke several packs per day, etc....) are completely awesome to me, because, well, I like to read stuff tha is worthless.

So I always take note while standing in checkout lines to scan the magazine covers for something that looks "good".

This week, the magazine that got my attention was In Touch, with their cover story about Teen Moms (from MTV) gone bad.

Farrah got new boobs, Amber has a drug addiction and apparently trying to get into porn, Maci got new boobs and is obsessed with her looks, and Jenelle is spending her MTV money on lavish clothes and partying while not at all concerned that she does NOT have custody of her son.

Okay so my thoughts on the above situations are for another time, another post. (Grr).

The picture that I think was most impressionable on me is of Suri Cruise, daughter of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes.

She is a gorgeous little girl. There is no doubting that.

But come on....really? She is not even 5 years old, for the love of pete!!

This picture of her in the high heels, trench coat, and oversized bag made me nauseous. What ever happened to having a childhood? They mentioned in the article about what a "fashionista" she is, and loves going to the makeup counters at the big fancy department stores to choose "her shade".

At age 4? Really?

My almost 3-year old loves "princess wipstick". Don't get me wrong. It's the $1 deals from Target and is really just clear lipgloss that has a few sparkles in it. She feels so beautiful after she puts it on.

That will be the extent of her makeup until she is 30 (ha!) and I promise she will not be owning high heels anytime soon for anything other than make-believe dress up.

Heck, I have my own heels retired as of this pregnancy.

What do you guys think about 4-year old "fashionistas?" Cute or nauseating?

Happy Friday!

9 comments:

  1. I really don't care too much about a 4 year old playing dress-up. She can get more expensive stuff than most kids, but oh well.

    However, these teenage moms are disgusting. True teenagers are irresponsible and MTV totally exploited them, but some personal responsibility is needed.

    Glad I went back to basics and got rid of all those cable channels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm....I'm not sure how I feel about it. Recently my son (who is 4) wanted the most hideous tennis shoes ever but the look on his face told me that he was just IN LOVE with them.

    Although they match nothing, he always says "MOM, I want to wear my fire shoes (they are like converse with flames on them)and I can't help but let him wear them because he's just so in love...

    So I understand the shoes (A LITTLE) but definitely NOT the makeup.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the time I think Suri is absolutely precious. However, high heels? Absolutely not! She looks like such an adult in this picture. Good grief, let the kid be 4.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I just read a news article on that. It was out of RedBook on line under the mommy daughter section. You should check it out. They are saying that girls are growing up way to fast and discussing that very topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was once a teen mom and those teen moms make me ill and I can't take reading or hearing a news story on them. They will regret it all someday if they don't get a hold of themselves NOW and focusing on their greatest gift, their child! As for Suri Cruise, growing up in the spotlight has to be horrible. I'm all for limiting kids and not giving them too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm addicted too, especially celeb gossip. I can't help it.

    I don't understand why celebs try and make their toddlers little fashionistas. I'm with you - it's NAUSEATING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to let Olivia be her own fashion guide and try to guide her choices. It's not the shoes that freak me out so much, it's when you go into some kid stores and you see toddler size thongs or side tie panties. Um, really? Not ok. Just very, very wrong.

    And I actually like the Teen Mom show, I just get frustrated at them. But then I think, OK- is it really possible to switch your brain from teenager to grownup when a baby is born? I don't think so. I had my kids at 23 and 25 and yeah.. I still struggle as a 29 year old between fun stuff I want to do and knowing I can't because I have to be home, etc. So the optimistic side of me says that most of these girls will come around. But the others.. probably won't. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have an obsession with celeb gossip (best present-my Mom got me a year's subscription to People). I'd have to say that the little girl fashionista thing has gone a little overboard. I think there's a difference between cute and then trying to grow up too quickly. Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!