
I got the idea to participate in "Wishful Wednesday" from my friend Syndal. I go to school with Syndal and her blog is quite refreshing--I love it!
So, each Wednesday I will try and participate in the topic of the week, which is determined by this blog writer.
My current career: Full-time mommy to a darling 2-year old. Wife to a darling 33 year old. Registered Nurse in outpatient General Internal Medicine at Mayo Clinic. Full time doctorate student to become a Family Nurse Practitioner.
There is no other career I'd rather choose than the path I am on right now! I'm not forcing myself to say that because of the scary student loans staring me in the face either :)
If I wasn't a nurse, I would love to be:
An actress. Okay, I can hear the laughter already! I secretly used to dream of being famous, and maybe at one point had the drama to go along with that. Travis might argue that I still have the drama, but certainly wouldn't want the lifestyle.
A veterinarian. This probably comes as no surprise! Nurses, vets...we all have that same underlying concern. I happen to be a huge animal lover. I would be that vet that went around and rescued homeless animals to nurse them back to health. Except I wouldn't deal with anyone's pet snake. I hate snakes!
A photographer. This is actually something I would like to formally get in to, but simply don't have the time for right now! I love photography and what it means, what it can do, and how it can inspire. Maybe one day soon I can get my hands on a camera I just might be drooling over and move forward with this.
A zookeeper. My more exact words last weekend were that I wanted to be a zoo volunteer, but if we're talking careers then I would need to make an income. Pay the bills, son. Pay the bills! This might go hand in hand with what I said about being a vet. I once saw a woman at the Omaha Zoo in a rocking chair with a baby orangutan. He was wearing a diaper, had a baby blanket, bottle, crib...everything. It was just so cute and I thought she had the coolest volunteer job.
A crime scene investigator. There was actually a point in my life where I was signed up as a criminal justice major. That lasted about 1 semester because I just didn't think it would pan out. I did enjoy the few classes of it that I did finish. One was a Forensic Science class and I found it quite intriguing. Now I just think it would be traumatic to be at a crime scene and I'm glad I changed my mind!
A stay at home mom. I can't say with 100% certainty that I would want this, but sometimes I do. I am a mommy 100% of the time and she's my priority. Bottom line. However, I'm not cut out for staying home day in and day out and so I need a reprieve. I feel like the fact that I am back in school full time, which has allowed me (required me!) to cut my work hours to 3 days per week, has also blessed me with more of an ability to stay home with Emersyn. It sounds contradicting, but I typically work 3 days/week, take Emersyn to Kathy's on one of my days off so I can work on homework, and stay home with her the other day off. That day is dedicated 100% to her and if work is needed to be done, I do it during her nap. If not for having a child, I would be working full time I am sure, including holidays, evenings, and weekends. My pregnancy fated me to my clinic job I have now and got me away from the bedside (which involves icky hours!) So I am thankful for my education in that it has allowed me more time with my child, as odd as that sounds...it works out. I would ideally like to work about 2-3 days/week down the road because I would not want to be a 100% stay at home mom. I need the stimulation and Emersyn needs the time away from me. She LOVES going to Kathy's and I'm so glad I haven't ever denied her that opportunity. I just think the world of Kathy and am so grateful for her help in shaping Emersyn into this beautiful, intelligent, thoughtful and well mannered child!
An international traveler. I'm not sure what this might really be called, but I'd love to be paid to fly all over the world!
What would you like to do if not what you already are doing?







LOVE this! Stopping by from Seattle Smiths! Cutest blog!
ReplyDeleteCongrats to you and your current position to become an ARNP~!!! Good for you wearing so many hats!! And you have got lots of good adventurous ideas for careers!
ReplyDelete