Sadness has paralyzed me since the tragic events at Sandy Hook unfolded 3 days ago. I was at work, and got updates here and there. My eyes overflowed with tears on many occasions. It became more horrific with each new update. I know it will be one of those "what were you doing?" moments in my life, along with 9/11, the death of bin Laden, and Princess Di's death (yes, I am dating myself, but I remember that plain as day---16 years old and on family vacation in Colorado).
I don't think anyone, no matter what part of the globe, no matter what age, race, or gender---can grasp the horror of that whole situation. My heart bleeds for the families who kissed their children goodbye that morning for the very last time.
I am so angry. I can't handle looking at the sweet victim's faces without breaking down in tears. Little Noah Pozner has a surviving twin sister. He looks almost exactly what I picture my twin baby Kellan to look like when he is Noah's age. I can never imagine explaining to a surviving twin how their best friend was so evilly pulled from the world--while at school. The victims are not much older than my own daughter---I just cannot fathom it. I cannot. I cannot.
This tragedy has been on my mind nearly ever second since it happened.
I didn't leave the house this weekend, other than to go to church. I got teary eyed as I watched Emersyn come up the aisle with her little classmates to sing for the Sunday School Christmas program. Not only because she was so proud, and is growing way too fast---but thinking of the many children in Connecticut who probably had similar plans for the weekend.
Life is too short and I get mad at myself that it takes such unimaginable events to remind myself of that.
I cherished every moment of this past weekend with my children and cried as I tucked them into bed each night.
For there are 20 sets of parents out there right now who would give anything for just one more minute with their children.
God Bless this country. God Bless our schools. God Bless the innocent victims at Sandy Hook.









No comments:
Post a Comment
Go ahead, make my day!