Wednesday, November 28, 2012

This Weekend I...


Joining forces with Syndal for a little weekend recap action!
This weekend I... spent some time in good ol' North Dakota!  The kids and I were there from Tuesday to Saturday.  Travis had to work (and, I will not say "unfortunately" because I have learned in the past 11 months how precious it is to be employed!) and couldn't come with, so it was just the 3 munchkins and I.  It was sad to be apart for Thanksgiving but considering it had been nearly one year since we were "home",  it was time!

It's 421 miles each way, according to my iPhone that is 6 hours and 46 minutes.
 
I'd like to tell my wisecrak iPhone to give alternative route options to those traveling with two 17 month olds and a 4 year old. Who are these people deciding its 6 hours and 46 minutes?  Do they not ever have to pee?  Do they magically avoid traffic in Minneapolis each and every time.  Screw them. 

It took us exactly 11 hours and 45 minutes on the way there.

I wasn't exactly planning on setting records, but dang!  The kids overall did awesome, we just had to stop.  A lot.  Like every 2 hours, tops.  And by the looks of our record breaking slowness, we didn't make quick stops.  

That's okay.  We got there.  My mom, bless her heart, made part of the trip with us.  Travis rode with us halfways, where we met my mom, who rode back with us the rest of the way.  I'm not completely confident in my skills of keeping the twins safe at public stops when there is just one set of hands.  They are at least two handfuls worth!  It was either grandma's help, or my kids would be leashed.  I used to scoff at parents with leashed kids. Now, I totally get it.  They must have been traveling solo with young but very quick twins!  I will never judge parents who leash again.

This weekend I...became obsessed with my mom's Keurig.  I never really had considered myself a daily coffee drinker prior to this trip. 


There was something magical and highly addicting about the option to choose your own flavor each morning.
This weekend I...decided a Keurig was a necessity in life, as the weatherman announced it was 9 degrees outside in North Dakota.  NINE.  Pretty sure that coffee and fireplace were a must, and pretty sure that my parents have the best backyard in all the land.  Emersyn decided a turkey lived in the little playhouse up on the hill, since it was decorated in Christmas lights like the rest of the yard.  It had to be the turkey, right? 
This weekend I...ate 9 million calories worth of yummy Thanksgiving food!  My parents hosted a (small) portion of my extended family for the feast.  It was great to catch up...and expand our bellies together.

My picky eater even found something she approved of!
The boys were really into my brother's puppy, Otto.  Several people suggested I get them their own puppy.  That's the very last thing we need in this house.  Period.
Kellan with his Godmother Auntie Emily
And when all else fails, just lock the kids up!  (It looks worse than it is, promise...the big kids had to deal with baby gates and boy was it a pain in the buns!)
This weekend I...adored my nephews Tyler (13), Isaac (9), and Nolan (5) with my own kids as they attempted holiday pics with my parents.  Let's just say that one of my children was less than cooperative. I won't say any names, but I have one antsy boy!  The pics were...um...memorable.
My nephews are sooo wonderful with my kids, it warms my heart and I really (often) wish they lived closer so my kids could get to know them better!  Emersyn and Nolan are just 9 months apart.  And, super cute if I say so myself!
 
And this just makes me laugh.  Real life.
Emersyn's giving dirty looks, Kellan's giving backrubs, and Maddox is giving 2 craps less about any of it :)
This weekend I...got to catch up with my dear dear friends, Dara, Leslie, and Jess.  We were joined at the hip before we moved to Minnesota.  I miss them daily!  It's crazy to think that this wild quartet has this many kids now...I got to meet 2 of these lil' ones for the first time.  It was great to catch up!  
Maddox, Kellan, Brady, Emersyn, Madison, and Avery.  I will quietly point out who is not happy about the pictures.  It was a recurring theme of the weekend :)  Stinkerdoodle.

This weekend I...worked frantically on a video presentation that was due for class.  Lesson to self:  don't wait until the last day to begin such tasks.  I spent 12 hours on it and woke up the next day feeling miserable....I thought it was from the lack of sleep, but turns out it was a nasty GI bug.  BLAH.

Happy middle of the week, peeps!

1 comment:

  1. I love my Keurig. It is a necessity (spoken like a true first-world girl). Your kids have gotten so big and so adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!