Monday, December 5, 2011

Greetings from the Hospital!

Hmm, seems to me I've done a blog post or 2 from a hospital room before.

Well, here's a 3rd blog post from the hospital for 2011!

This time, I sit next to my poor Emersyn's hospital bed as she sleeps (or, tries to sleep).

The weekend was plugging along just fine, despite Emersyn having a few sniffles Saturday morning. Nothing at all worrisome or even "bad". Typical winter sniffles.

About 5:30 Sunday morning, she was crying. I heard her on the monitor and went in right away to find out that she'd thrown up in her bed. We got her cleaned up, changed her sheets, and she went back to sleep.

She woke up around 8:30 and said she didn't feel well, I assumed her concerns were tummy-related. By 10, her breathing was sounding crummy. I listened with my stethoscope and decided it was time she get a dose of her inhaler. It settled her down enough where she was able to get some sleep for 2 hours.

She woke up again at noon and seemed anxious. Her lungs again sounded awful, though it had only been 2 hours since her inhaler. It should last at least 4 hours.

Off to the ER we went. Seemed a bit like deja-vu...she was just there the week before Halloween with similar issues. Viral cold, then BOOM...wheezy lungs. That was, coincidentally, a Sunday as well.

At the ER, it was found her oxygen saturation was crappy. 80-85%. Those of you medical folks know this is terrible for a healthy 3 year old! She was retracting with each breath she took (also not a good sign!)

Within a split second she had 2 doctors and a Respiratory Therapist standing over her. She got a nebulizer treatment and her oxygen sats came up to around 95%. Better but not outstanding. We waited around for a bit to see what would happen, and unfortunately her saturation dropped back down to 90-91%. Not cool.

Nebulizer Round 2 brought her sats up to around 96% again. And as before, they sloped shortly after.

They decided she needed to be admitted overnight for monitoring. I had no objections. Safety is my friend. Off we went to get her checked in to her room.  She was/is such a great sport about it all, and I think she really had a lot of fun being assigned her own hospital bed! She got plenty of practice during my admissions (remember, the boys weren't born until the 3rd admission!) and more recently, saw her grandpa in the hospital too.  She didn't seem scared or intimidated by any of that...and quickly figured out the "system".  She bartered with her evening nurse..."I'll take my medicine for a popsicle!"  That's my girl!!



Do you know how tricky this all is with two (nearly) 6-month olds at home? Six month olds who are strictly breastfed, at that? Oye. I am thankful to have a lot of frozen milk at home, but it sure isn't awesome to have to pump all the time while we're away. 

Travis is at home with the boys, their first night/bedtime away from mommy. It didn't go very well, but I'm not surprised by this. (Mommies boys....okay so that part secretly makes me smile.  Shhhh!)

But there's no place else I'd rather be right now, and there's no one else that needs me more at the moment than this sweet girl. 

Please pray for continued healing for Miss Emersyn.  After 4 rounds of treatments so far, she is showing improvement that she is maintaining.  We're hoping to go home tomorrow....fingers crossed.

Must. Sleep.
Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. You're back home now right?? Hope Em feels better soon! wheezy kids scare me!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!